maandag 9 augustus 2010

Male vs. Female Artists

Hello everybody! I want to clear something up.. As you might have noticed while going through my blog, I mostly talk about female artists. I want to explain this, and also I want to say I'm trying to come up with male artists to compensate for this but it's hard on me.

I prefer female voices over male voices any day. I prefer female beauty over male beauty any day. I look up to women, never to men. I can relate to a woman's lyrics, not to a man's. And some of you know I'm a writer, I write short stories and I'm working on a book, well let me tell you: I've tried to write from a male's perspective for ages now, and it just doesn't work. Maybe that makes sense because I'm a woman myself? But no, that's not the reason. I'm just much more interested in women. This may sound strange since I'm in a heterosexual relationship (and if you've read my previous blogs, you'll know I'm so in love that I can't stop talking about my boyfriend). But yeah, that's just the way it is.

Of course, there are exceptions to this rule. When it comes to hip-hop music, one of my favorite genres, I generally listen to male and female artists equally. There was a time when I collected female rappers' CD's, but it started to bore me because that market is very small. There are artists like Three 6 Mafia, Snoop Dogg, Atmosphere and Dutch artists Manu and Jiggy Dje - they make music no female could ever make. This is not a sexist remark, just listen to their music and you'll understand.
Also, some 90's R&B artists like Ginuwine, Montell Jordan, Blackstreet and R. Kelly have made songs that will forever be classics in my opinion and I prefer them over most R&B songs sung by females.
Well, to put it shortly, in many genres males are generally more successful than females. And in some cases, I agree a male voice can make a song work better than a female voice. I won't deny that. But personally, I prefer women to perform the music I listen to. Look at my Last FM page to see my current favorite artists and most played songs, but know that I won't recommend every one of these artists to you because some of them are PERSONAL favorites that aren't necessarily genius artists. Click here to go to my Last FM page.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten